Wednesday, 1 February 2012
Journal #1- The catcher in the rye
Over the first three chapters, I learned a lot about Holden's personality and his relationship with others. In some ways, he and I are actually quite alike. Holden "could shoot the old bull to old Spencer and think about those ducks at the same time." (p.13) Just like him, I daze off and daydream about something else during school or when someone's talking to me, but still manage to be able to understand what's going on. As well, I can relate Mr. Spencer with a couple of my teachers. Holden observed that Mr. Spencer "felt pretty lousy about failing <him>" (p.12) I can tell that a couple of my teachers feel pretty bad too when failing or giving a bad mark for their students' work and some will even give the opportunity for students to redo their work. I also learned that although Holden doesn't do well at school, he still likes to maintain a healthy relationship between him and his teachers, for example Mr. Spencer. Mr. Spencer had "written <Holden> this note asking <him> to stop by and say good-by before vacation started" (p.7) and Holden says that he "didn't have to do all that" for he would have "come over to say good-by anyway." (p.7) This shows that Holden and Mr. Spencer value each other as good friends and before Holden would leave for good, they would want to say a friendly good-bye first.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment